Off-duty firefighter saves child from burning home using garden hose

An off-responsibility firefighter saved a 3-calendar year-old neighbor from her family’s burning home in Brooklyn — utilizing just a backyard hose, he recalled to The Put up on Tuesday.

Town Bravest Stefon Douglas, 33, said he was headed dwelling just after operating at Engine 276 on Sunday night when he spotted smoke “puffing from the rear of the dwelling that was on fire.

“I started out managing in the direction of a household,” he mentioned.

Douglas explained he then remembered he had an oxygen mask and tank in his car simply because he experienced not long ago utilized them as a prop for college students at a faculty profession day.

“I grabbed [the equipment] from my trunk and place it on,” he mentioned.

Off-obligation firefighter Stefon Douglas, 33, saved a 3-year-previous neighbor from her family’s burning residence in Brooklyn.
Paul Martinka

At 1st, Douglas tried to combat his way by means of the flames and smoke in the entrance of the house but didn’t have sufficient protective equipment, he reported.

“I was just in a T-shirt, had shorts on and Crocs, and the warmth was just way also a lot and the property was way much too massive to try to execute a research,” Douglas claimed.

So he made a decision to enter the house by means of the aspect and ran into a gentleman there employing a garden hose to check out to douse the flames, he said. 

Off-duty firefighter Stefon Douglas with another FDNY member
Stefon Douglas (heart) employed a garden hose throughout the rescue.
Lloyd Mitchell

“I grabbed it from him,” Douglas reported of the hose. “I questioned him, ‘Do you feel anyone’s in the home?’ He claimed, ‘There could be two people today.’ ” 

Douglas said he then put his thumb on the hose’s nozzle to try to generate a lot more pressure though shifting as shut to the flames as the hose would make it possible for.

He stated he observed a lot more flames on the stove and properly trained the water on that. 

Then he read the woman.

House with firefighters standing in front of it
Douglas, 33, was headed household just after functioning at Engine 276 on Sunday evening when he spotted smoke billowing from the Brooklyn residence.
Wayne Carrington

“I started out to hear whimpering, like a tiny cry,” he explained. 

He followed the cry and ended up in what turned out to be a toilet. He was not able to see substantially as a result of the thick smoke but managed to uncover the crying tot, who was bare and crouched on the ground in between the bathroom and sink.

“I grabbed her,” he mentioned. “I handed her off to the guy at the doorway.”

Douglas then picked the garden hose back up and continued to search for the probable second trapped person. It turns out the child’s mom was nevertheless in the house. She afterwards died from injuries from the blaze.

“I just utilized the hose to retain the fireplace from extending to one more space or just whenever it bought much too near,” Douglas mentioned of his frantic look for for a 2nd human being.

Ladder 159 eventually arrived and tapped him out.

Citizen video shows a young girl being rushed to an ambulance after being pulled from a fire in her home.
The child’s mother afterwards died from accidents sustained throughout the blaze.
Citizen

“[Other firefighters] had been seeking at me rather weird mainly because they had been like, ‘How does this person have on a mask?’ ” Douglas mentioned. “But they did not know me until I took off my mask, and they had been like, ‘Whoa, Steph. What were you accomplishing listed here?’ ”

They ended up shocked to listen to he saved the child, he stated.

“When I received outdoors, my mother and my sister have been there, and they’re looking at me like ‘What did you just do?’ ” he recalled. 

The tiny woman was rushed to the medical center in important ailment but has due to the fact pulled out of the woods and will survive, authorities mentioned. Her mom was discovered in a bed room further in the home’s interior and later died, officers claimed.

Douglas mentioned he felt bad that he wasn’t in a position to help save the mom but considers it divine intervention that he was there to conserve the baby.

Typically, he would have been at do the job at the time of the blaze, he claimed, but he experienced to choose his mom to surgical procedures in the early early morning, so he was returning home before.

“It just retains enjoying in my head,” he claimed. “It just occurred that God aligned it so flawlessly that I was heading dwelling and received on my block at that individual second.”